WHAT YOU WILL NEED FOR THE DAY
- One copy of ALL OF THE ABOVE for each person who will be a designated reader during the day. If you want everyone in the school to read—provide books for all!
Note: ALL OF THE ABOVE (Hachette Books, ISBN 978-0-316-11526-1) is available in paperback or eBook formats from Amazon.com, BarnesAndNoble.com, independent booksellers, and most educational retailers. Many libraries also carry copies.
- One tetrahedron shape for each student. You can print a free tetrahedron shape here or use Ellison shapes. A die to cut out the shapes can be purchased from www.ellisoneducation.com (Item #A10351).
- Students will need a notebook and pen. Scotch tape, scissors, markers should be provided.
- Guest readers (optional)—invite some surprise guests to read. High school volunteers, coaches, local sports or newscasters, librarians, service staff, or your district superintendent are some possibilities…
- Provide a copy of the day’s reading schedule for each
staff participant. A suggested schedule for the day is here.
BEFORE READING DAY
Build enthusiasm and curiosity about the One Book One Day choice by using some of the following ALL OF THE ABOVE ideas before the reading day:
Decorate the hallways walls with “eyes” (pages 151-153) or “college-level” words (pages 15-16).
Hold a week-long “Guess the Principal’s (or math teacher, coach, etc.) Tie Contest” (page 6).
Play a selection of blues music for morning announcements in honor of “Singing the Blues” sauce (page 30).
Hand out copies of the recipe for Willy Q’s Chocolate Truth Cake.